Getting the mail today I stressed out thinking I’d forgotten to renew my car insurance. Nearly all my bills are paid automatically by ACH or credit cards on file. This is not the case with my AAA insurance.
I marveled at the complexity of the process and realized how much bitcoin would improve the experience.
For some reason my insurance company, AAA doesn’t save my account information or auto debit my account like all my other bills. Additionally AAA doesn’t have me create an online self service portal. The process is cumbersome and feels like something out of the 90s. Unfortunately I have a bad habit of putting off annoying tasks which is why I thought I’d missed making my payment.
Current Process (estimated time 5-10 minutes)
- Receive a mailing with payment information (needed below) and insurance card.
- Put in a 12 digit alphanumeric code in a specific format
- Put in my billing zipcode
- Give them my debit card information
I realized bitcoin would have reduced the process from a one month delay because of the annoyance factor to a one minute pull out my phone snap a QR code and pay.
Improved Bitcoin Process (estimated time 45 seconds)
- Receive an email or mailing with a QR code to pay via bitcoin.
- Send payment with bitcoin app
- Receive insurance card via mail email or (can it be on my phone?)
- AAA doesn’t have my credit card information to worry about securing or losing
- Less work for the customer (no typing in information or filling out prompts)
- AAA increases margins by bitcoin’s lower processing fees, even if they receive USD.
While I was at it I decided to renew my license plate and drivers license. I noticed their processes were similar to AAA’s and would also be improved by bitcoin.
- Ask a business owner you know to accept bitcoin. Explain it is more convenient and saves them money!